Search in this site

1/12/13

Is having a dog heel on the walk really such a big deal?

I have my dog trained to walk loose-leash and he's very, very good about following me and not dragging me along. I prefer this heavily because he gets tangled in our legs, so he walks ahead of us out of necessity. Is this really such a big deal for his sense of superiority?

Answer:
Yes it is. It's a huge deal. In the dog world the leader leads the way. I realize it is inconvenient for the humans, however if we are going to live with dogs and expect them to behave as we wish then we need to understand how to communicate with them. 


Dogs develop behavior issues because we humans send all the wrong signals. A dog needs to be 100% sure the humans are able to take over the role as leader and keep their pack safe. By allowing the dog in front you are telling him that you wish him to be that leader. Read more about how to properly walk a dog so he does not get tangled up in your legs during the walk yet is still heeling on the lead.
dog
Power by xinh xinh