Search in this site

12/6/12

Stop dog from nudging all the time

He is a one year old golden retriever. When I stop patting him, he nudges me really hard and continuously with his big bet nose until I pat him again. It's really annoying! How I get him to stop? Thanks! =}

I also have a couple of nudgers here. I find the best thing to do is just fold your arms across your chest and turn away from the dog. Don't give him any eye contact whatsoever. Your body language will soon tell him that he's fighting a losing battle with you and he will eventually just walk away and go and lie down.

He is doing it purely for attention. The more you give in and keep patting him the worse he'll get.

I will allow this behaviour for a while but when it starts to get irritating then I put the above plan into action and it works every time.

You pet the dog on your terms not his. Once this nudging gets out of hand the dog becomes a nuisance and ceases to be a pleasure so start now and let him see that his behaviour is unacceptable. You will gain his respect a lot more quickly rather than allow it to go on and on and then get annoyed with him. 

Once he is lying down quietly then you can give him one of his toys or a bone to chew to keep him occupied.
dog
Power by xinh xinh