What is Schutzhund?
Table of Contents
1. Address & Phone Numbers for Schutzhund USA
2. What is Schutzhund?
3. What is the worst part of Schutzhund?
4. The Three Parts of a Schutzhund Trial
5. Schutzhund Around the World
6. The Schutzhund Titles
7. The Value to the Breed
8. What Is the Judge Looking for in the Dog?
9. The Schutzhund Trained Dog in the Home
10. The Schutzhund Trained Dog for PoliceWork
11. Choosing a Puppy for Schutzhund
12. Raising a Puppy for Schutzhund Work
13. Do Dogs Enjoy Schutzhund Training?
14. For More Information About Schutzhund
15. Learn a little about the all breed Schutzhundorganization called DVG America
16. Scores of the 1996 Schutzhund USANationals
17. Scores on the 1997 World Qualifier
18. Results of the 1997 Bundessiger Prufung in Ludwigshafen, Germany
Schutzhund is a dog sport that was designed for breeders to measure the working ability of their dogs. The information gained from a Schutzhund trial is to be used as a tool in selecting breeding partners.
1. Here in America the sport of Schutzhund is well organized and run by Schutzhund USA
3810 Paule Ave
St. Louis, Mo. 63125-1718
The General Manager is Paul Meloy
Schutzhund USA has an excellent magazine that comes out 6 times a year. I recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the sport. If you wish to learn more about this great sport, we offer a number of training videos and show videos on the sport. Refer to our master list of videos.
2. What Is Schutzhund?
Schutzhund is a German word meaning “protection dog.” It refers to a sport that focuses on developing and evaluating those traits in dogs that make them more useful and happier companions to their owners.
Schutzhund work concentrates on three parts. Many familiar with the obedience work of the American Kennel Club’s affiliates will recognize the first two parts, tracking and obedience. The Schutzhund standards for the third part, protection work, are similar to those for dogs in police work. While dogs of other breeds are also admitted to Schutzhund trials, this breed evaluation test was developed specifically for the German Shepherd Dog. Schutzhund is intended to demonstrate the dog’s intelligence and utility. As a working trial, Schutzhund measures the dog’s mental stability, endurance, structural efficiencies, ability to scent, willingness to work, courage, and trainability.
This working dog sport offers an opportunity for dog owners to train their dog and compete with each other for recognition of both the handler’s ability to train and the dog’s ability to perform as required. It is a sport enjoyed by persons of varied professions, who join together in a camaraderie born of their common interest in working with their dogs. Persons of all ages and conditions of life--even those with significant disabilities--enjoy Schutzhund as a sport. Often, it is a family sport.