Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds22 reported dog bite related human fatalities in the United States in 2004. 2005 - 29 human fatalities. 2006 - 26. In 2007, there were 33 human fatalities. 45% of the attacks occurred to adults over the age of 18, and 55% occurred to ages below. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 67% of fatalities, the next closest breed was the rottweiler at 12%. But all dog breeds are potentially dangerous. In 2000, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported that 25 breeds of dogs were involved in 238 fatal dog bites from 1979-1998. Here it is the compiled list of the most dangerous dog breeds:
|1. Pit Bulls (Weight: 55-65 lbs.) |
2. Rottweilers (Weight: 100-130 lbs.)
Due to their intense territorial instinct these dogs are very aggressive. Rottweilers are commonly used as guard dogs.
3. German Shepherds (Weight: 70-100 lbs.)
4. Huskies (Weight: 44-66 lbs.)
Despite of their energy and intelligence this breed is not regarded a good guard dog. It is caused by its kind temperament and personality characteristics. However it should be marked that between 1979 and 1997 fifteen fatal cases were caused by huskies.
5. Alaskan Malamutes (Weight: 75-100 lbs.)
This breed requires a lot of exercises to be happy as being bored they become disobedient. On the whole their characteristic features are energy and activity.
6. Doberman Pinschers (Weight: 65-90 lbs.)
Doberman Pinschers are famed by such features as alertness, intelligence and loyalty. Therefore they are considered to be one of the best guard dog breeds. The dog usually attacks only in case its family is in danger or when being provoked.
7. Chow Chow (Weight: 50-70 lbs.)
The Chow Chow seems to be distant and independent, however they require staunch attention. If badly bred they can become aggressive dogs.
8. Presa Canario ( Weight: 80-115 lbs.)
It is well known that an attack of this guard dog can bring to the death any prey. One of the main features of this dog is fearlessness, huge power and man-stopping ability.
9. Boxer (Weight: 50-70 lbs.)
These dogs are intelligent, frisky and full of energy. It is not so easy to train them as they are self-willed breed. In addition, boxers are not typically aggressive by nature.
10. Dalmatian (Weight: 40-70 lbs.)
This breed is distinguished by intelligence and perfect memory, independence and survival instincts. Sometimes Dalmatians can be aggressive towards people.
- For each US dog bite fatality there are about 670 hospitalizations and 16,000 emergency room visits, 21,000 other medical visits (office and clinic), and 187,000 non-medically treated bites
- 46.1% (nearly half) of dog bite injuries were triaged in emergency rooms as "urgent-emergent"
- Dog bites are the second highest reason why children seek emergency treatment
That's about 60,000 bites per fatality and that information is dated. It is reported today that a US citizen is bitten by a dog every 75 seconds.